Mount Carmel Behavioral Health provides comprehensive care for adults who have been struggling with psychiatric challenges. Our 80-bed psychiatric treatment center is easily accessible from communities in and around the Columbus, Ohio, area.
What Is a Psychiatric Treatment Center?
Discover the types of disorders that are treated in our psychiatric treatment center in Columbus, Ohio
When an individual is suffering from acute symptoms of a psychiatric illness, they need streamlined access to stabilization services and quality support to meet their needs. At Mount Carmel Behavioral Health, our residential treatment center provides comprehensive services for adult men and women who are dealing with psychiatric challenges. Often, living with these damaging conditions can make it difficult to remain grounded in reality, attend to the tasks of daily living, maintain steady employment, and foster healthy relationships, and it can even compromise personal safety.
If you or a patient, client, friend, or loved one is suffering from symptoms of one of the acute psychiatric disorders listed below, know that Mount Carmel Behavioral Health is here to help.
- Brief psychotic disorder
- Delusional disorder
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Suicidal ideation
Please note that this is only a brief list of the disorders we commonly treat at Mount Carmel Behavioral Health. All admissions decisions are made on a case-by-case basis to ensure that our hospital is the best place for you or your loved one. During the admissions process, we’ll review your case history and presenting concerns. Should it be determined that your needs would be best served in an alternate setting, we’ll provide a quality referral. If you have specific questions about the disorders we treat, or about any aspect of our admissions or referral processes, please contact us at your earliest convenience.
What Happens in a Psychiatric Treatment Center?
Learn about the features of care in our psychiatric treatment center in Columbus, Ohio
While each person who struggles with an acute psychiatric condition will have a unique experience and presentation of symptoms, there are some treatment modalities that have proven successful in managing these concerns. We know that when symptoms are heightened, one of the first and most important steps in healing is stabilization. For this reason, finding an acute residential treatment center is key to sustained recovery from a psychiatric illness.
Mount Carmel Behavioral Health’s residential treatment provides a safe, supportive environment in which to get your symptoms under control so that you can begin setting and meeting your goals for recovery. By engaging with the interventions listed below, you can begin your healing journey at Mount Carmel Behavioral Health.
- Individual therapy – In one-on-one meetings with a therapist, you’ll process the setbacks and successes of treatment. These confidential meetings are also useful for goal-setting, accountability, and practicing tools for self-regulation and symptom management.
- Group therapy – Join your peers for moderated discussions on topics related to your recovery. In this safe setting, you’ll give support and gain feedback from those who are walking a similar path. Often, psychiatric illness can lead to feelings of isolation. Group therapy is an excellent reminder that you are not alone in the healing process.
- Family therapy – Psychiatric illness impacts the family unit. At Mount Carmel Behavioral Health, we encourage loved ones to engage in family therapy to heal strained relationships, learn effective communication, and support their family member in recovery.
- Experiential therapy – At Mount Carmel Behavioral Health, we invite you to experience healing on a deeper level by exploring the mind/body connection via experiential therapy. These activities often include creative or movement-based exercises.
- Medication management – Many patients find that pharmaceutical interventions are a necessary and important part of their recovery experience. These services ensure that you are receiving the ideal type of medication for your concerns, that your dosage is safe and effective, and that you have the opportunity to communicate any concerns about your medication with a trained professional.
When you’re ready to transition out of the residential environment, we offer a thorough discharge planning process to direct you toward the level of care that will best suit your needs. Partial hospitalization programming (PHP) or intensive outpatient programming (IOP) can be an excellent choice as you transition back to your daily life. These programs provide a blend of balanced structure and autonomy, with participants returning to their homes or an alternate residence during evenings and weekends. More traditional community-based outpatient services may also be beneficial as you continue to work toward your goals for recovery.
How to Choose a Psychiatric Treatment Center
Find the local psychiatric treatment center in Columbus, Ohio, that’s right for you or your loved one
When it comes to selecting the best psychiatric treatment center for yourself or a loved one, it can be difficult to sift through all the options. But rest assured that by taking the time to do some research, you can find the treatment center that’s best suited to your needs. As you begin reviewing different providers, please consider the following tips:
- Research treatment centers in your or your loved one’s area. By beginning your search within your community, you can immediately narrow down the scope of your options.
- Be on the lookout for specialized programming for psychiatric disorders, as well as interventions and supports that would be a good fit for your or your loved one’s needs, challenges, interests, and strengths.
- Remember that the decision to enter treatment is not to be taken lightly. Expect some initial fear or resistance to the idea.
- Throughout this time, be mindful of your own physical, emotional, and mental well-being if you are in the role of supporting a loved one as they enter residential care. In doing so, you’ll have more strength and stamina to support your friend or family member.
To learn more about Mount Carmel Behavioral Health’s programming for psychiatric illness, or to begin the admissions process, contact us today. Our helpful staff is always available to provide you with additional information about our services.